Friday, December 24, 2010

Dover Pools Boast New Logo


DOVER—
The Dover Pool Advisory Committee recently announced the winning design in its pool logo and motto contest. Ken Costello of Dover submitted the winning entry, “Dover Swims.”
“I read about the contest on the city’s website,” Costello said. “I had an idea, so I put it together. Having opportunities to swim is critical. (Supporting the pools) is a good cause. I don’t want to see the pools go.”
The design combines the familiar Dover wave with a swimmer.
A landscape architect by trade, Costello often uses his skills for recreational projects, including Dover’s new Community Trail. He regularly rides his bicycle. He swims at the beach and pools as often as he can.
“I used to spend summers at the beach and swam all the time,” Costello said. “Now I just swim for fun. When I go I say, ‘Ah, that was so good. I should do this more often.’ My five-year-old daughter is taking lessons now and she loves it. She also loves watching the other swimmers and divers. My two-year-old already loves the water.”
When asked if he had any special swimming stories to share, Costello noted he met his wife at a canoe race.
“That would not have happened if I wasn’t comfortable being on the water and knowing how to swim,” he said. “The quality of life in Dover is enhanced by the pools.”
Photo caption: Dover resident Ken Costello displays his winning “Dover Swims” design. The logo was submitted as part of a contest to find a new logo and motto to help promote Dover’s public pools. (Courtesy photo)